Anthropic is an AI safety and research company based in San Francisco.
- The team has experience across machine learning, physics, policy, and product. Together, they're goal is to generate research and create reliable, beneficial AI systems.
- The company’s research interests span multiple areas including natural language, human feedback, scaling laws, reinforcement learning, code generation, and interpretability.
AI safety and research company.
The initial product from the company is Claude, an AI assistant that can help with a wide range of tasks such as scheduling meetings, booking flights, and more.
Constitutional AI (CAI) shapes the outputs of AI systems according to a set of principles, with the goal of making a helpful, harmless, and honest AI assistant.
- Anthropic has raised $2.8 billion in funding to date.
- Amazon recently announced they will invest another $4B for a minority stake
- Google is reportedly in talks to invest another $2 billion in Anthropic
- In May 2023, Anthropic raised $450M to build next-gen AI assistants.
- Notable investors include Spark Capital, Salesforce Ventures, Sound Ventures, and Zoom Ventures.
Anthropic is led by former OpenAI executives including siblings Dario and Daniela Amodei who run the company as CEO and president respectively.
Other co-founders include Jack Clark (former Policy Director at OpenAI), Tom Brown (former Member of Technical Staff at OpenAI), and Sam McCandlish (former Research Lead at OpenAI.
- In June 2023, Anthropic partnered with OpenAI and DeepMind to give the UK early access to foundational models for AI safety research
- In May 2023, Anthropic expanded Claude’s context window from 9K to 100K tokens to analyze ~75K words.
- In April 2023, Anthropic announced its partnership with Scale AI 4.
- In May 2023, Anthropic announced a partnership with Zoom to build customer-facing AI products.