Databricks is a data and AI company founded in 2013 by the original creators of Apache Spark, Delta Lake, and MLflow. The company’s mission is to simplify and democratize data and AI, helping data teams solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Databricks offers an open and unified platform for data and AI, combining the best of data warehouses and data lakes.
- The platform is designed to enable massive-scale data engineering, collaborative data science, full-lifecycle machine learning, and business analytics.
Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco with offices around the world and hundreds of global partners, including Microsoft, Amazon, Tableau, Informatica, Capgemini, and Booz Allen Hamilton.
Databricks’ core products include:
- Delta Lake: An open-source storage layer that brings reliability to data lakes.
- MLflow: An open-source platform for the complete machine learning lifecycle1.
- Spark: An open-source unified analytics engine for large-scale data processing.
Databricks has raised a total of $4B in funding over 12 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Sep 14, 2023 from a Series I round. Databricks is funded by 49 investors. Counterpoint Global and ClearBridge Investments are the most recent investors. The company is valued at $43 billion as of September 2023.
Databricks was founded in 2013 by Ali Ghodsi, Andy Konwinski, Ion Stoica, Matei Zaharia, Patrick Wendell, Reynold Xin.
- Databricks made one of the biggest acquisitions in 2023’s heated AI deal space with the acquisition of MosaicML, a startup that helps businesses build their own AI models, for $1.3 billion in June.
Databricks is a data, analytics and AI platform.