Midjourney is a San Francisco-based AI research lab and undeniably one of the leaders in the AI image generation space. Despite increasing competition from other AI image generation tools like Stable Diffusion and DALL-E, Midjourney stands out due to incredibily impressive, realistic, and inspiring AI image generator.
Midjourney is a leading AI image generator.
Co-founded by David Holz, one of the the co-founder of Leap Motion, Midjourney allows users to generate a variety of unique images based on the prompts provided. Currently, Midjourney is only accessibile through Discord, although hopefully they will release a public API shortly.
How to Generate an Image with Midjourney
Currently, the way to interact with Midjourney is through their Discord server. You can follow these steps to generate your first AI-created image with Midjourney:
- Join the Discord: First, join the Discord channel here.
- Find a Newbies Channel: Navigate through the channel to find spaces dedicated to beginners.
- Create your First Image with the /imagine Command: Use the /imagine command to generate an AI-based image based on the prompt you provide.
- Process the Job: After creating the image, you can use the /info command to check on your jobs.
- Rate or Make Variations of Your Image: Upon image generation, you can either rate the image or generate variations of it.
- Save Your Image: Once satisfied, click on the image to open it full size and then right-click to save it.
- Set Up Your Own Discord Server: To avoid all the clutter in the newbies channel, consider setting up your own Discord server connected to Midjourney.
Midjourney Prompt Engineering
Prompts are the driving force behind the creations generated by Midjourney. They are short text phrases interpreted by the Midjourney Bot to generate images. The bot breaks down the words and phrases in a prompt into smaller pieces called tokens, which are compared to its training data to generate the image.
Prompts can be basic or advanced. Basic prompts can include a single word, sentence, or even an emoji. Advanced prompts can have multiple elements like an image URL, multiple sentences of text prompt, and parameters.
How to Craft a Midjourney Prompt
Creating an effective prompt for Midjourney involves following steps:
- Pick a Medium: Decide on an artistic medium for your image.
- Get Specific: Being specific can significantly influence the quality of the generated image. You can specify the decade or century, use unique colors, use emotional words, or specify different environments to achieve this.
Parameters are additional settings that are added at the end of the prompt. They can change an image's aspect ratios, switch between different versions of the Midjourney model, change the upscaler used, and more.
You can find more details about Midjourney parmaeters below:
Midjourney V5: Prompt Examples
Midjourney V5 has been designed to allow for greater flexibility and control in creating AI-generated images. Here's an example of Midjourney V5 prompts:
Photorealistic, an AI robot programmer working amidst a bustling futuristic cityscape in the background, shot on Kodak Ektar 100, 85mm f1.4 --ar 2:3 --stylize 950 --v 5
Midjourney V5, despite the increasing competition, remains one of the most impressive generative AI art tools on the market. The arrival of tools like Midjourney has revolutionized the digital design and creativity landscape. Its potential API access opening could further broaden its applications and impact on the AI community.
Learn More about Midjourney
Please note this pages serves informational purposes only and does not constitute an endorsement of any AI tool. Some of the company descriptions are assisted by our GPT-4 research assistant and is provided without any expressed or implied warranties.